Go Back   MTG Vault Forums > Magic: The Gathering > MTG Deck Development & Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Abusing "enters the battlefield" effects

Hi guys, I have a deck idea but I would like some input on some good cards to get it rolling.

I want to use only creatures that have "When this creature enters the battlefield" effects, like Ghitu Slinger, Nekrataal or Ravenous Rats.

It would also be cool to abuse a card like Pyrrhic Revival, using maybe blue cards to fill my own graveyard with such cratures then reviving them all with Pyrrhic Revival. If Pyrrhic Revival can bring back 7-8 (or more!) creatures with "enters the battlefield", it could make for some interesting effects in a single round.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM

yeah, I've been hooked on "187" creatures since I've started playing again

the possibilities are endless

Try for instance a Grixis deck running

Flametongue Kavu
Avalanche Riders
Shriekmaw
Man-o-war
Mulldrifter
Venser, Shaper Savant
Okiba-Gang Shinobi
Cavern Harpy

3xCrystal Shard

Terminate
Lightning Bolt
Damnation (if you have them)
Mana Leak
Makeshift Mannequin

That is so much fun to play (ofcourse against some decks it just doesn't work)

cheers
Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Default I've made a deck abusing this kind of a ability.

It consist of filigree angel which when entering battlefield gives 3 life for each artifact on the battlefield. Then I use Master transmuter to swap 2 filigree angels with one blue then use voltaic key with one colorless to untap master transmuter and then enter filiggree angel to play again. Is this allowed by the mtg rules? I mean doing this 2 times per turn? because if it is: I only have to have 5 artifacts on the battlefield to gain 30 life on one turn.

Here is the deck at how it is right now: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=60312

Last edited by zaccaro; 05-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

The best way that i found for come into play effects by far are, alluren with creatures that are 3 or less casting cost, cloudstone curio which allows you to bounce your creatures back to your hand, ghostway which removes them from play then brings them back. I love to abuse these cards, it just makes life unfair if you get those cards in play.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Eternal Witness
Selkie Hedge-Mage
Coiling Oracle
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Venser, Shaper Savant

are some of your best creatures for a "comes into play" deck

Crystal Shard is a must for self-bounce

Turn to Mist, Call to Heel and Aether Tradewinds are great tools for this as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 PM

All good suggestions, thank you gents.

What Seth proposes really appeals to me, Blue/Black/Red seems effective, some good creatures along those lines and good removal with Terminate/Lightning bolt.

I really like the creatures proposed by Seras though, they are indeed very effective and look hella fun to play. Let's say I added 4 of each to a deck and another 20 spells, would that be effective though?

Those creatures lack a little bit of punch don't they? Or can I bounce my opponent to the point where those creatures are the only ones in play and I'm slowly killing the other player?

I was considering adding white for Ghostway, there is certainly some merit to that combo. White would also allow me to play Path to Exile or Swords to Plowshares (I mostly play Vintage with my friends).

Discuss! And thanks again!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Article Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Hi guys, I have a deck idea but I would like some input on some good cards to get it rolling.

I want to use only creatures that have "When this creature enters the battlefield" effects, like Ghitu Slinger, Nekrataal or Ravenous Rats.

It would also be cool to abuse a card like Pyrrhic Revival, using maybe blue cards to fill my own graveyard with such cratures then reviving them all with Pyrrhic Revival. If Pyrrhic Revival can bring back 7-8 (or more!) creatures with "enters the battlefield", it could make for some interesting effects in a single round.

Any thoughts?
If you want competitive, I have a deck based around that for Legacy play, its called Survival of the Fittest. You can check it out on my profile on the vault if you like. Its packed with comes into play creatures, ways to get them, and reuse their abilities over and over again.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
I really like the creatures proposed by Seras though, they are indeed very effective and look hella fun to play. Let's say I added 4 of each to a deck and another 20 spells, would that be effective though?

Those creatures lack a little bit of punch don't they? Or can I bounce my opponent to the point where those creatures are the only ones in play and I'm slowly killing the other player?
here's my current version: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=29703

As you can see I add the infiltrators and lieges for more punch, but essentially yes..you slowly gain control of the board, it works very well but usually dies to ultra fast decks.

but mostly, it IS hella fun to play =)
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras View Post
here's my current version: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=29703

As you can see I add the infiltrators and lieges for more punch, but essentially yes..you slowly gain control of the board, it works very well but usually dies to ultra fast decks.

but mostly, it IS hella fun to play =)
Nice! the lieges indeed make for an interesting threat. I assume the greaves are there to protect the liege since it's the bigger threat in the deck?

I'm liking this a lot, I'll probably be building this very deck. Thank you, looks so fun!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM

greaves usually end up on momir to protect him or to give haste to a much needed trygon predator's removal power.

momir really speeds up the deck letting you go fetch whatever creature you need most at any given time.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir would also be a great addition, not only does he help limit your opponents's options but given all your creature flash is a great boon to this deck. I'm still looking for one to include.